Monday, April 25, 2011

Thirty Before Thirty

Several weeks ago, with my 29th birthday approaching, I started thinking about all the things I'd like to do, but never seem to get done.  Anyone who really knows me will know what's coming next... Yes, that's right.  I made a list.  And to keep myself in check, I decided that instead of just making a list and probably losing it and never getting it done, I'd make a blog (which I've been meaning to do for a couple years) and document my progress.


So here is the first installment of my list...

DIY
1.  Complete at least 1 DIY project per month
I've recently discovered the wonderful blog world and I've been inspired by so many other people's creativity.  I have all these projects floating around in my head and I needed to make a timeline to get some done.
2.  Make an upholstered headboard for our bedroom
This is at the top of my list of projects.  I know it's easy.  And the materials needed aren't that expensive.  And the effect is FABULOUS.  I can hardly wait to get started!
3.  Make a toddler bed for Ezra
This one is sad and exciting all at the same time.  At this point Ez doesn't need a toddler bed yet, but within the year I'm assuming we'll transition him from his crib to a toddler bed.  And I found a wonderful tutorial here via DesignMom.
4.  Make a play kitchen for Ezra’s birthday
I can hardly wait to get started on this one.  I wanted to get Ezra a play kitchen, but all the ones online or in stores are so plastic.  Not to mention expensive.  So I googled how to make one...  I looked at SO many adorable play kitchens.  Seriously.  For hours.  But this is my favorite.  I love that it reuses something that would have otherwise probably been thrown out.  My version is going to be made from 2 night stands so the sink and the stove/oven are separate.  Now I just need to scour Craigslist for a couple cheap night stands.

FOOD
5.  Try a new recipe at least twice a month
I've been cleaning up my almost 3 foot stack of magazines, (I'm a junkie) by tearing out the pages I want to keep and recycling the rest.  I've cut my stack in half so far.  What I'm left with is a couple paper trays filled with recipes, ideas, products I like, etc.  In doing this, I've found dozens of recipes I'd like to try.  Frank is WAY more adventurous with food than I am, and he's game.  
6.  Have a minimum of 1 fruit or 1 veggie per meal
To those who are judging... you can stop now.  We are not a veggie family.  Well, I should say that Lenon and I aren't veggie people.  We are corn, green beans, and lettuce people.  But that's about it.  He and I are both willing to try other veggies.  But we'll see how that goes...
7.  Make a weekly menu and stick to it
We're good at making a weekly menu.  In fact, we're really good at it.  We do it every week.  Our problem is that the menu ends up written on a small piece of paper that gets lost.  Or we find the list and whatever is on the menu doesn't sound good.  Well, tough.  We are going to make the dang list and eat what's on the menu.  Or at least that's the plan.  But I think it would help if we made one of these.  It's the best idea for a dinner menu I've seen.  There are others using chalkboards, but I love the cleanliness of dry erase.
I'll work on my next installment in the next few days.

-Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment