Monday, April 9, 2012

A Reflection (and Happy Birthday to me!)

I turned 30 on Saturday.  We had a quiet, uneventful weekend, which was exactly what I wanted.

Now, I'm not going to beat myself up about not completing everything on my Thirty Before Thirty list.  A year ago, I might have.  I only accomplished 11 of the 30 items on the list, but the list was hastily written.  Some of those items aren't even things I want to do anymore.  Some were pipe dreams and I was setting myself up for failure.  I will try to complete those items I still feel are worthy.  But at least 11 things were accomplished in the last year.  And I really feel like I've grown as a person.  I know it sounds cliche, but it's true.

Of the items still in the "to do" phase of the list, here are the ones I actually do still want to accomplish this year:

1.  Complete at least 1 DIY project per month -- I have a ton of things I'd like to make.  And I think one item per month isn't too much to ask.  I just need to work on some time management and assign a project to a "due date" or just carve out time on a certain day each week to work on things.
2.  Make an upholstered headboard for our bedroom -- This I'd still like to do.  The supplies wouldn't even cost that much.  My goal is for this to be done by the end of June.
5.  Try a new recipe at least twice a month -- We did try several recipes this year.  Not twice a month, but we did find some winners.  And some not so good.  I want to keep this up so we have a good compilation of recipes when we wonder "what should we have for dinner?" 

8.  Get a new tattoo -- I really want to get a tattoo when I KNOW what I want.  Maybe that won't be this year.  That's the reason why I haven't done it this year.  I just don't know what I want for sure.
9.  Lose 75 pounds -- With Holly's wedding approaching I really want to lose some weight.  Maybe it won't be 75 pounds, but I want it to be something.  That's all I'm going to say about that one.
14.  Blog at least twice per week -- I've been really good about keeping up with my Favorite Things Friday posts.  And maybe that's what I need to keep up with blogging.  I'd also like to document my monthly DIY projects.  Blogging is fun, I just worry that what I write about is boring.  So if it is, just tell me "Kara, this post sucks.  We don't care about what you ate today."  Or whatever dumb thing I've written about.
28.  Plan a budget and stick to it -- This is huge.  We've been way better with money in the last year.  But we want to get even better.  We are both such consumers.  We need to stop with the consumption.

These are things I don't really care about as much... Well, maybe that's not right either.  Just not things that are as pressing.


17.  Take an overnight getaway with the hubs -- I think this would still be nice.  But honestly, at this point in our lives it's just not financially feasible do to something like that.

18.  Work out at the gym at work twice a week -- The gym at work... I'm not sure what I was expecting.  I hate the idea of spending my lunch break (which I'd much prefer to spend reading) working out and then going back to my desk all sweaty.  Plus, I'd really rather not see my co-workers half naked.  So I'm done with the work gym.  I'd rather go somewhere that I don't know anyone.
19.  Work out at home at least once a week -- Using birthday money I'm buying a bike.  I've wanted one for like 5 years and I'm so excited to start researching.  That is going to be my "at home" workout.
20.  Go to the dentist -- This is important.  It's true.  And I'll go... sometime.  Probably this year.
21.  Go to the gyno -- Okay, this one I'll do by... um, say... August?  It's never as torturous as I think it will be.  But I still need some time to prepare myself.
23.  Trade babysitting with a friend for a monthly date night with the hubs -- Again, like #17, this would be nice.  Maybe not monthly, but we definitely need some adult time.  Even if it's just going to a movie or going shopping without kids.

The Business section of my list is hard.  I do still have the desire for an Etsy shop, but I really want to know what I want to sell before I have a shop that has a bunch of random junk in it.  So this section is going to be on hold until I decide what I want to sell.

24.  Have professional business photos taken
25.  Learn about getting a business license for my Etsy shop
26.  Create 5 different items to sell on Etsy
27.  Sell my first item

These lofty ridiculous goals that I didn't expect to accomplish... well, I didn't accomplish them:

29.  Pay off credit cards -- We don't have a ton of credit card debt.  Probably because we work for a credit card company so we know the ins and outs of the credit card business.  But we do have some.  We've hardly used the cards in the last 6 months, so the balance is being reduced, but they aren't paid off.  Maybe next year... well, let's be honest, maybe in 3 years.
30.  Pay off car -- Again, it would have been nice.  We don't owe much on the car.  We only have about a year left and it sure would be nice to have one less payment to make each month.  But until we need a new car, we can certainly afford our meager $200 car payment.  Once I talk Frank into another baby we'll need something bigger.  But we'll work on that when we get there.

While I didn't accomplish all these items, I still feel pretty good for having done something.  It's more than I've done in the last few years combined.  

I have a feeling 30 is going to be a good year.  I'm optimistic.  A few good things are on the horizon... but more on that some other time.  I'm sure I've lost half of you, because this has turned into a ridiculously long post.

Do you have any goals for yourself this year?

-Kara

1 comment:

  1. First of all, keep blogging! I get so excited when I check in and see that you have posted something new. I feel like we aren't so far apart when I read what you and the family have been up to. Secondly, I think you should be proud of all of the things you have done in the last year. I'm impressed with all the books you tackled. I think I only read about 5 this year. Oh well, now I'm inspired to read more this next year. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete