Friday, May 4, 2012

Favorite Things Friday: A Memorial

I didn't love the Beastie Boys until I was 22.  In fact, I had only heard Brass Monkey, (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party), Sabotage, and Intergalactic up to that point in my life.  The very first band Frank asked me if I liked was them... But I misheard him and thought he said the Beach Boys.  To which I said an adamant "No!"  He couldn't believe it.  And I couldn't believe that someone under the age of 50 actually enjoyed the Beach Boys.

We got it sorted out shortly after and I admitted that I had never heard much of the Beastie Boys so I didn't really have an opinion.  Coincidentally, the Boys had an album that came out the year we met (2004) so we bought it.  It only took a few songs and I was hooked.

Sadly, today Adam Yauch (MCA) died of cancer.  He was my favorite.  Something about his rugged voice was so fantastic to me.  When Frank told me, I got choked up.  I didn't have any idea how sad I'd be.  He seemed like such a good guy.


MCA, you will be missed.


You can read more about him here.



No comments:

Post a Comment