Friday, February 3, 2012

Favorite Things Friday: Kitchen Stuff

Frank has a love for all things kitchen.  He loves gadgets, utensils, storage items, dishes, you name it.  If people ask for ideas for gifts for him I always go back to "kitchen stuff."

He really likes cooking, which is good for me because I think it's okay, but prefer baking.  What's weird though is he's very particular about sticking to recipes.  He HATES when a recipe calls for a "dash" or a "pinch" of anything.

Frank:  "My fingers are fat sausages so my "pinch" is way bigger than yours."
(That may or may not be a direct quote)

Anyway, because he loves kitchen stuff I've started to like kitchen stuff.  My faves are a little more basic than his.  But here are a few.

purchase them at JCPenney or at Amazon

Lock & Lock containers.  They are the BEST food storage on earth.  You can put them in the microwave, fridge or freezer.  They don't stain or warp.  The lids snap on and stay on.  You have no idea how many times these have fallen on the floor and yet have NEVER broken open.  Try that with Ziploc containers or Gladware.  They are a bit pricey--- The set pictured above is an image from Amazon and they're $34.97 for the set of 14 containers and 14 lids.  You can also get them at JCPenney - and now that they're doing their new pricing thing (if you haven't heard about it, Google it) the sets are pretty inexpensive.  The link above will take you to a $20 set that includes 8 containers and 8 lids.  So if you want to try them out, that's probably a better way to go.  

Frank's mom got us started on these.  We got a couple sets one Christmas.  I groaned inwardly when I opened them... the last thing we needed were more food storage things.  But once we started using them we threw out 3/4 of our supply of food storage.  We kept a few weird sized containers that we haven't been able to find in Lock & Locks.  Now if we could just figure out a storage solution, we'd be set.


purchase it here

We began our love affair with this Oxo spatula years ago.  We got one on a whim at Linens N Things (when we still had one in town - probably 5 years ago).  We got this same color and have used it almost daily since then.  She has a companion now -- an exact twin and they remain our favorites.  Frank and I have had the discussion with a few people, but we have always called these types of devices "spatulas" and we've called these "spatulas" too.  Some people call the photo above a "turner" or a "flipper" but I prefer "spatula" -- and if I'm wrong, so what?


purchase them here

These Oxo angled measuring cups were a wedding gift.  We use them all the time and they're wonderful.  I love that I don't have to hold it up to my face and hope I don't spill when I'm checking the side to see if I have the right amount of whatever in them, because the measurements are at an angle on the inside.  


purchase it here

This is the Mr. Coffee Frappe maker.  It's my very own "frappuccino" machine in my house.  It brews coffee in the top and then blends the ice/caramel syrup/milk (or whatever you want) in the carafe when it's done brewing the coffee.  It's fabulous and wonderful and I love it.  I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond and it ended up only costing me about $30.  I had a 20% off coupon and a $25 gift card I had gotten from some points at work.  So in place of about 6 Starbucks drinks I got something that can make me hundreds of drinks.  And Frank likes it, too.  



purchase it here

This cereal container is a life saver.  We like cereal, but don't through a box very quickly.  We have two of these babies and they keep cereal fresh forever.  On Amazon they're like $12 - which is crazy.  Ours are Rubbermaid brand but they look just like these but the red part is gray.  I got them at Target and they were $6.99 each.  So if you're going to get some, check around.

What are your favorite kitchen products?

-Kara


No comments:

Post a Comment