Friday, March 2, 2012

Favorite Things Friday: A Few Good Books (and an ode to my Kindle)

It's no surprise that I'm a reader.  With my goal to read 50 books this year SMASHED in December (which was only 8 months into my challenge) it's obvious to anyone that I love to read.  Speaking of that, I should probably update my Read list.  Oops.  Sorta forgot about that.

Anyway, so at first I thought I'd do a rating system on my Read page, but it was so hard because most of them were good.  But a few were terrible.  Terrible enough that I contemplated not even finishing them.  One of them I didn't finish.  It was awfully written and had typos all over the place.  Bad ones.  Your vs. you're even.  But then I realized it was probably a self-published piece of drivel since it was a Kindle only publication that was only 99¢.  Not sure what I was expecting.

Because I'm on a budget I've been flocking toward the cheap Kindle books (99¢, $1.99, $2.99) and a great deal of them are Young Adult.  This is another reason why I LOVE my Kindle like a child.  No one can see what I'm reading.  So if someone asks, I can be like "Oh, I'm enjoying Anna Karenina!"  When I'm actually reading something like "Flat Out Love" (which was WONDERFUL by the way).

These are the stand-outs.  The ones that even months later I remember them being great.

buy it here

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves

Okay, so don't judge a book by its description.  It's not a creepy pedophile story.  (Got you wondering, huh?)  It's a great story about surviving on an uninhabited island and the interactions between the only two people living there: Anna (a high school tutor) and TJ (a high school student).

buy it here

Kindred Spirits by Sarah Strohmeyer

Four friends.  One dies and leaves a secret that the other three friends set out to solve.  It sounds cliche but it was actually really great.  

buy it here

A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White

This book I found at the Goodwill in Santa Barbara for 99¢.  I didn't even intend to buy it at first.  I had found two books and two movies (a Wiggles one for Ezra and Ratatouille for Lenon) but I discovered on the walk back to my parent's house that Ratatouille was missing.  Duh me for not checking to see if the movie was in it.  So we walked back and talked to the girl who rang us up and she said to just trade it for something else that was $3.99.  So I looked through their books and found this one and 3 others and we were on our way.  It is a great book.  It's so easy to connect with the characters.  It was one of those books that I couldn't wait to read.  I would think about it at work and was tempted to smuggle it into the bathroom with me to read it.  But I refrained.

buy it here

Night Road by Kristin Hannah

I love anything by Kristin Hannah.  Wait, I take that back.  There was one book that was just okay but I can't remember the name of it because I've read almost all of her books.  That's one thing I do.  When I find an author I like I read their EVERYTHING.  Then I get disappointed because I'm out of books and I have to wait for the next book.  Anyway, this particular book is really good.  I don't remember tons about it because I read it so long ago.  But believe me, it was good.

buy it here

One Pink Line by Dina Silver

I didn't expect much from this book, what with its pink cover and cliche title.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  I'm sure you could guess from the title --- a girl ends up pregnant but that's not where it ends.  You'll be surprised, and emotional, and enjoy it.  I promise.

So those are a few of the good ones.  Have you read any good books lately?

-Kara
















No comments:

Post a Comment