Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Goals for 2013

Frank is a smart guy.  He decided that instead of a single grand (and usually incredibly hard to keep) resolution for the year he'd have 13 (smaller and more attainable) goals for 2013... and I totally copied him.

But he said he based his idea on my 30 before 30 thing (which I failed at miserably).  And really, I got the idea from reading other people's blogs, so whatever.

Anyway, here's my list.  I'm quite excited about it.

1.  Build something.

I'm not sure what I want to build, but possibly an upholstered headboard that I've wanted to build for almost 2 years now.  Or a microwave stand for our behemoth of a microwave.  See, we have a really tiny kitchen.  Like super tiny.  And almost no counter space.  So right now we have a dresser in the kitchen along one wall and it houses the crock pots, some baking dishes, and other whatnot, along with being the extra counter space needed for our microwave.  It sounds trashy, but it doesn't look trashy.  Regardless, that was not the plan I had for that dresser so we need something to replace it.  I've been looking all over creation for a semi-attractive alternative and have had zero luck so we've decided that we probably need to build something to house it.

2.  Read and review 52 books.

I clearly have no trouble reading books.  In fact, I got a Kindle Fire from my parents for Christmas and since I've had it (it actually arrived December 4) I've read 12 books.  I've been obsessed with it.  My previous Kindle stopped working in late summer last year and I was lost without it.  I think I only read like 4 actual paperback books in the 3 months I was without it, and 3 of them were the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series -- which was SO good.  But I couldn't keep up.  Paperbacks are so expensive and I couldn't read the cheap, self published books I'd gotten used to.  But anyway, all that is changed now that I have a Kindle again and instead of just reading books I'd like to start including a weekly review of a book I've read.  I've had lots of people ask me for recommendations, and honestly, I read so many books sometimes they run together.  So, be looking for a review this week sometime.  And I have one to make up for last week, so you might get a double-shot this week.

3.  New look.

I've had the same hairstyle for like 10 years.  I've had the same glasses for about 3 years.  I'm tired of both and I need a change.  Coincidentally, just today I went and picked up my new glasses.  I love them.  I'm officially on the "nerdy glasses" train.  They're taking some getting used to, since these have plastic frames all the way around the lenses and my previous glasses were rimless.  Nevertheless, I love them and I'm excited for them.

4.  Find my niche.

I really want to make some decisions on an Etsy shop.  There are so many things I like doing and so many hobbies I've started.  I have boxes of beads and stuff to make jewelry.  I have tons of fabric.  I have a love of thrifting.  I need to decide which direction I want to go and go there.

5.  Blog at least twice a week.

This one should be easy.  I want to continue with my Favorite Things Friday, my thrifting posts, and have a book review once a week, plus do updates on the kids (I have a stash of cute Ezraisms), and other stuff... so, this one should be easy.  We'll see.

6.  New camera.

I'd like to save for, buy, and learn to use a new camera this year.  I have my eye on this one.  It's gotten great reviews (thanks for making me a researcher, Dad!).  But it's pretty expensive.  I'm already setting money aside for it.  Hopefully we won't have to use that money for something else.

7.  An overnight away with Frank.

I wanted to do this in my 30 before 30 list, but it didn't happen.  This year, Frank and I decided that we are going up to Minneapolis to hit IKEA for my birthday.  That involves a 3.5 hour drive and an overnight stay.  We are also going to see if we can fit in some live music while we're up there.  All depends on who is in town.  We're keeping our ears open.

8.  Make some original art.

I'm going to create a gallery wall in our living room and I'd like to have pictures of our family, things that are important to us, some art work, etc included in it.  And years ago I loved to paint.  So it makes sense to create some original art rather than buying something from someone else.  I'm excited to get working on it.

9.  Enjoy some live music.

This one is something Frank and I are both excited about.  There are lots of opportunities to hear live music in Sioux Falls, but in the last couple years we haven't done much of it.  We vow this year to go to at least one concert this year, but hope to hit several.  With Saturday in the Park in Sioux City, and Jazzfest and Downtown Live in Sioux Falls, we shouldn't have any trouble penciling in one or all three of these things.

10.  Learn to knit.

I've wanted to learn to knit for a while now.  I found some tutorials online and some links to Youtube videos and I'm looking forward to getting started.

11.  Family pictures.

We haven't had family pictures taken since Ezra was like 18 months old.  It's time for new ones.  The end.

12.  Seriously consider writing a book.

I have written about a dozen story beginnings and never finished anything, but with the ability to self publish on Amazon, I'm thinking about working on an idea that I've had in my head for a few years.  It seems pretty easy to do -- I've done a little reading up on it.  We'll see how it goes.

13.  Purge and organize.  

This one goes without saying.  We have so much "stuff" and we need to get rid of some of it.  I plan on having at least 2 garage sales this year.  Last year was quite successful, and it felt good to mark things to sell and not mark them to deal with negotiations.  Toward the end of the last day I was giving stuff away, including a Spiderman comforter to a 7 year old boy who was so excited he almost cried.  Plus, with living in a smaller house, we don't have as many places to store things.  So they're getting out of here.


There's my list.  It's ambitious, but not overwhelming.  I have a good feeling about this list.

Stay tuned for updates!

-Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment